Thursday, June 10, 2010

Family Capers Community Hero!

 The very first recipient of the Kids @ FC Community Hero! 
Backpacks 4 Aussie Kids is the proud sponsor of the monthly hero award. Each of the three nominees for this month had inspiring stories of the selfless love that we so often see children give, without ever expecting anything back.

I was so amazed to read Lochie's story and so very impressed by his achievements in such a short time, (he is just 7 years old). The following extract is taken directly from the Family Capers website and was written by Lochie's loving mum.
----

Lochie - Nominated by his Mum, Louise

I would like to nominate my son Lochie Graham for the family hero award.

The list is endless when it comes to what my sons gives his family and the world around him. 200 words seems impossible to fit it in. But I will do my best.

Lochie was a hero when he was conceived. I had a neurological immune disease that was terminal prior to becoming pregnant, and this miracle pregnancy suppressed my immune system, hence stopping me from dying, giving me a little extra time. I thought I would get an extra 9 months because of him. Instead I was cured, he gave me my life back. So Lochie was a hero before he even took his first breath into this world.

Since Lochie was 2 he has shared his home, his toys, his room, his mother with over 60 foster children that we care for in our home.

The month he turned 4 he left behind the world he knew to travel overseas to do volunteer work with me for 3 months. Whilst there Lochie taught an adult how to swim and this adult who ran an orphanage, is opening a swimming pool for children in Africa, naming it the Lochie Graham Swim School.

2009 Lochie broke the record for his entire schools history on raising money for MS readathon.

In January this year Lochie was named the only Official Ambassador of Salem Australia, a charity dedicated to helping underprivileged children around the world and environmental projects. As part of his Ambassador work Lochie designed a Jerry School (inspired by his hero Jerry Lewis) in which Jerry Lewis is having dinner with him next month to discuss his ideas and drawings. Jerry School in Lochies words “is a free school for sad people to go to so that they can learn how to laugh again.”

He has a love affair with animals, he has rescued a kitten and a bunny in the last 2 years, becoming part of the family Maverick and Sam.

None of this is what makes him a hero to me. He is all that is good and pure in my world, and he always gives unconditionally, no matter how much I take. We have mother’s day, there’s father’s day, there’s many ‘days’, that honour us as adults. We don’t often get to honour our children with a ‘day’ where we remember how much they love, and how much they give. They are, after all, what makes us significant in the first place.
----

If you know of a child who you think is worthy of this monthly award, please nominate them at the FC website. Just to be nominated is a huge honour.

This month Lochie will receive a satchel, cooler bag, activity pack, books, a photo holder teddy and face washers from Backpacks 4 Aussie Kids.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails