Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Packing Day March 21st 2010

Well, I can hardly believe it! 
We have completed our second packing day. In the weeks before the big day I spent hours stocktaking clothing and sorting sizes into sets ready to pack into the bags.

 (Jaala and Des look at the stocktaked items! Crikey...)

Turns out I needed to do WAY more stocktaking than this!

When the girls turned up to pack we counted the number and type of nappies, bottles and dummies. Who knew that dummies come in different sizes? I surely didn't! I also found out that feeding bottles come in different 'flows' depending on the age of the baby. In case you didn't know - I don't have my own kids, (yet).


So, once all that was organised we started packing. Tracy's mum, Allison came along thank goodness and she made us cups of tea and coffee as well as sandwiches and sweets!

I felt we were much more organised this time, even though we did send Jaala in to the bargain stores to get extra dummies and bottles!
 
(torches and tissues)

The day was really busy and we only stopped for caramel tart with mini marshmallows on top and Dad's Greek Shortbread at the end of the day.

We managed to pack 117 bags that day. 


(the dogs are 'on guard', Staffies!)

The next day I got a call for some specific sized bags for an agency. So I packed another 6.

62 bags went to Thuringowa near Townsville, and I've had calls from as far away as Ipswich, Bundaburg, Mornington Island as well as local agencies.

---------oo--------ooo-------oo-------ooo------oo------ooo------oo-------


So, are we making any sort of difference?

Here's something I heard today. An agency worker delivered a bag to a boy in his teens. The boy was excited to receive the brand new satchel school bag. It contained underwear, Lynx shower gel and deoderant, toothbrush/paste, a large blankie (with a US sports team on it), a torch, soap, shampoo and conditioner. Only one shirt was included because I didn't have any clothing for a kid his size.

According to the agency worker, he laid everything out on the bed on top of the blanket and organised his new things. These few items were his to control in a situation that was totally out of his control. He was very grateful and totally beaming that he had been given these things.

Is that a beautiful story or what?

Of course, none of this is possible without your help and the dedicated project team here in Innisfail.

1 comment:

Trina said...

Your acts of generosity are inspirational. Keep up your good work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails