Sunday, September 12, 2010

Facebook Ponderings . . .

Thought this little discussion was worth blogging. Love to know your thoughts . . .
From Facebook Sunday night the 12th Sept.

(I have removed everyone's last names)

Backpacks 4 Aussie Kids We had our monthly meeting today for B4AK and unfortunately, but not unforseen, our first disagreement about the contents of the bags and what is essential and what is not. Here's the list of the basics that go into the bag, just comment with anything on the list that you don't think is essential - that means, if it do...sen't get donated we purchase it. See comments below for the list
See more
2 hours ago · Comment · LikeUnlike · Share · Promote

*
*
*
o
Backpacks 4 Aussie Kids
Bag contents -
torch, toothbrush/paste, shampoo/conditioner, soap, hairbrush, facewasher, pjs, clothing, soft toy, activity/toy and or book, undies, blankie.
I haven't included nappy bag contents here. Just kids/teens. Like to know what you ...think and why. If you are a carer and have an opinion and would like to identify yourself, please do so.See more
2 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading... ·
o
Emma
I can't see anything wrong with what's in those bags. Although for teens they would probably need deodorant.
2 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 7 peopleLoading... · ·
o
Sally
im guessing if it comes down to having to leave some things out id choose the soap, shampoo and conditioner. 99% of homes would have these items anyway. But on the other hand its nice for them to have there own
2 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading... · ·
o
Kel
I was thinking perhaps a blankie might not be as necessary for an older kid as a younger one - i'm not saying get rid of them but maybe put something more age appropriate in the older kids bags, in exchange for the blankie - beanie perhaps ...or scarf???
Otherwise i think everything is necessary!!!See more
2 hours ago · LikeUnlike · ·
o
Zoe
I too think the blanket might not be needed but maybe some deodorant or a journal/diary
2 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 4 peopleLoading... · ·
o
Leah
I think it all sounds good, agree with Sally re the soap etc but nice for them if able to get it, and would probably be cheaper/easier for a book than a additional toy? What a great great thing! :)
2 hours ago · LikeUnlike · ·
o
Nicolle
i work in a resi with boys age 10-18 and our welcome packs are exactly the same except we have deodorant like emma suggested.
2 hours ago · LikeUnlike · ·
o
Ajaye
I'd prob take the facewasher out and torch, is the torch for those scared of the dark? maybe a glow in the dark toy? or maybe a small nightlight instead? but yeah i agree with the teens need deodorant.
2 hours ago · LikeUnlike · ·
o
Erin 
Maybe sanitary products for those around the age of puberty- puberty is a scary thing but to have to go through it when you have such an unstable life would be difficult- they might not feel comfortable asking and I think it is an essential for teens. IMO :)
2 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 8 peopleLoading... · ·
o
Ajaye 
lol we aren't taking anything out we are adding more!
2 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading... · ·
o
Tammy
agree need deoderant and sanitary product for older kids. maybe take torch out, i would only have a blankie for babies/toddlers
2 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading... · ·
o
Ang 
I love the diary/journal idea!! Also the deod and sanitary products. ♥
2 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 3 peopleLoading... · ·
o
Tarnya 
I think the content are perfect with the addition of deodorant and sanitary pack for the girls. A torch can help a young one feel more secure particularly if they have to navigate a new house to go to the bathroom. Shower products may not s...eem necessary but for a child or teen that has been taken out of a familiar environment it is nice to have something of their own. I think a journal and pen or coloured pencils is a great idea because feelings need to be expressed and either drawing or writing about them can be a way to cope. Great idea.See more
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading... · ·
o
Tarnya You may be able to get in touch with a company that makes the sanitary pads and ask for them to donate sample packs. You can go onto the website and order a sample so I can't see why they wouldn't donate a large number of packs
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike · 6 peopleLoading... · ·
o
Belynda
@tarnya awesome ideas :)
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike · ·
o
Machelle
I am a carer and I would say ditch the shampoo and conditioner. Carers are also trained to deal with teen girls and any puberty issues that arise so I wouldn't worry about sanitary products either. Everything else is great and I would definitely keep the blanket even for teens. I always buy my kids their own "special" blanket and they really do love them.l
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading... · ·
o
Backpacks 4 Aussie Kids
thanks everyone. Yes, teens get deodorant :o) We haven't included sanitary pads because we pack in sizes and not ages. For eg, we cared for a 7 year old girl who was a kids size 14-16. I'd hate to put pads in and have a child that age end u...p with them, could be awkward all round. If we donate direct to youth shelters we would include them though.
Interesting that people are saying that soap etc is not essential. When I originally came up with the idea, I wanted the bags to be like an overnight bag for the kids, (and a help for the carers), and yes carers probably do have those things in the house and they could probably leave the light on instead of a torch etc. But it's not about what the carer has...for me it's about what we can give the kids. Unfortunately it's come down to money for us and unless we can get some corporate sponsorship or grants happening soon I can see me working at least one day a week just to fund stuff for the packs LOL, yes, my partner knows - he already thinks I'm a bit nuts but he understands my passion for this.
Our project team works really hard to make sure we get everything we need, we just needed to make a decision on how to spend our funds. The meeting was great and we are gearing up for the cent sale and had a beautiful lunch...which is the main thing right :o) ♥ to the team and everyone who commented.See more
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike · 3 peopleLoading... ·
o
Backpacks 4 Aussie Kids
thanks Machelle!
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike ·
o
Leah
Would there be any chance of hitting up some major motel chains (or the like) that may possibly donate some of the travel size shampoos etc? :)
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike · ·
o
Backpacks 4 Aussie Kids
You'd think they would wouldn't you Leah?! Anyone work in a large motel and want to give it a shot, please go for it!!!
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike ·
o
Jane
I'm guessing that the chains buy them from HOtel supply wholesalers. I have an ABN so will do some looking into it for you! s
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike · ·
o
Leah
I have just emailed you something to read....let me know what you think :)
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike · ·
o
Ricky
I think trying for corporate/bulk donations for travel size bathroom stuff is a cool idea - will ask my friends if any have contacts that could help. Basically I think the list is perfect, if finances mean you *have* to trim it back then I'd trim back the blankie for the largest sizes (ie: generally older kids) and possibly the facewasher (on the grounds that no kids I know actually use them) but I do think keeping everything if at all possible is the best solution.
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike · ·
o
Kathi
Johnston Maybe a book and a pen, tissues, personal items for teenage girls, deodorant. You're doing a fantastic job anyway. The world needs more people like you. xxxx
56 minutes ago · LikeUnlike · ·
o
Leona
Same thought about soap - houses generally have them. I've asked a friend who's hubby's a dentists to see if he can get some small toothpastes I can send up!
31 minutes ago · LikeUnlike · ·
o
Michelle
Try Libragirl.com ....i used to order lots of pack for puberty classes in schools...they were great!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What can I say? Our fans are the best! Lots of interesting opinions here and I still haven't given mine or said what the team decided, but still, great to see people are able to be involved with what we are doing!

Apparently I'm quite stubborn, (it's genetic...I'm Greek!), but we, the Greeks also invented democracy, so I'm happy to go with how we voted today at the meeting.

Will let you all know in the next week or so.
des

1 comment:

Vic said...

Ah, see, now it's things like this that make me ponder my decision to give up facebook...! ;) (But then all the farmville notifications & people whinging in their status updates soon remind me lol)

I absoloutely HATE that you have to worry about how to fund this amazing project, it is not right!

Again, let me know if there is anything I can do to help & I've got my fingers & toes crossed that your organisation can catch a funding break soon...!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails